Victorian Antique Silver 'St Johns Parish Church Preston' Vinaigrette

Joseph Willmore, Birmingham 1843
Photo 1 of 13

An extremely rare Victorian silver Vinaigrette of shaped rectangular form, the base and sides engraved with foliate scroll decoration, the lid engraved with a scene depicting St Johns Parish Church, Preston, with the legend ""Parish Church Preston"" engraved above the scene and the initials 'MCP' to the bottom right hand corner. The silver gilt interior with an intricately pierced grille opening from front to back and centred by a flower head.

By Joseph Willmore, Birmingham, 1843

Sold - £0.00

In good condition with no damage or repair
11 mm (0.43 inches)
40 mm (1.57 inches)
32 mm (1.26 inches)
30.00 Grams (0.96 troy ounces)
Stock Code
St John's stands on an ancient Christian site, originally dedicated to Saint Wilfrid. The church is not specifically mentioned in the Domesday Book, the earliest documentary reference being in 1094, when it was part of a grant by Roger de Poiteau to the abbey at Sées. None of the fabric of this church has survived. It was replaced by a new church, probably in the 16th century. In 1581 its dedication was changed to Saint John the Baptist. It was repaired during the following century, but by 1770 its condition had deteriorated. In that year its dedication was changed again, this time to Saint John the Evangelist. In 1811 the tower was partly demolished, to be replaced by new tower in 1814. However, by 1853 the church was in such a bad condition that, apart from the base of the tower, the whole church was demolished.