Victorian Silver & Enamel Clyde Corinthian Yacht Vesta Case

W & G Myers, Birmingham 1892
Photo 1 of 9

A good quality Victorian silver and enamel Vesta Case of rounded rectangular form with hinged flip top lid, the face enamelled with the burgee of The Clyde Corinthian Yacht Club.

By W & G Myers, Birmingham, 1892

Sold - £465.00

In good condition with no damage or repair
55 mm (2.17 inches)
37 mm (1.46 inches)
11 mm (0.43 inches)
35.50 Grams (1.14 troy ounces)
Stock Code
On a summer evening the 23rd day of August, 1876, six gentlemen, Alan Clark, Charles Clark, Frederick Clark, James R.L. Smith, William Christie and Stewart Broadfoot, foregathered at Dunoon with intent. Their purpose was to form themselves into a sailing club and the name chosen ""The Clyde Corinthian Sailing Club"" was to last only until 1888 when the Club assumed the name still carried to this day. Alan Clark was appointed Chairman but, after the group had been joined by others, William Clark was appointed Commodore, Alan Clark Vice-Commodore and J.R.L. Smith Rear Commodore. As this account progresses it will be seen how great a part the Clarks played in the running of the Club throughout its first century. Upon that evening in 1876, and led by these gentlemen, a group of interested yachtsmen set about tabling the Rules of the Club and the Sailing Regulations under which racing matches would be held.

Incorporated in the Rules were the Club flags which, it was agreed, should be ""a Red Burgee with a White St. George's Cross and Red Lion Rampant on Yellow Shield and a Red Ensign with Red Lion Rampant on a Yellow Shield"". The ensign was never adopted but the burgee of course has survived the first century, in spite of a request in 1898 from the Royal St. George Yacht Club at Dun Laoghaire, which was some thirty-eight years senior to the Corinthian, asking that the latter should change its burgee as it clashed with that of the Irish Club.