Victorian Silver Castle-Top Vinaigrette St Giles Church, Wrexham

Nathaniel Mills, Birmingham 1848
Photo 1 of 11

An extremely rare Victorian silver castle-top Vinaigrette of shaped rectangular form, the base and sides with bands of engine turned decoration, the lid engraved with a view of St Giles Church, Wrexham. The silver gilt grille pierced with a flower head and scrolls.

By Nathaniel Mills, Birmingham, 1848

St Giles' Church is the parish church of Wrexham, Wales, and is a Grade 1 listed building, described by Simon Jenkins as "the glory of the Marches". At 180-feet long, it is the largest medieval Parish Church in Wales. Since 2012, its interior has been re-ordered to include a remodelling of the Chancel as St David's Chapel, and its north aisle is the home of the regimental chapel of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers (now part of the Royal Welsh). The core of the present building dates from the 14th century, although it was extensively remodelled in the later 15th century by Thomas, Lord Stanley and his wife Lady Margaret Beaufort (mother of King Henry VII) both of whom are depicted on corbels either side of the chancel arch. In this depiction, Stanley has a crown, but donkey's ears.

£4,200.00

Condition
In good condition with no damage or repair
Dimensions
H
28 mm (1.10 inches)
W
38 mm (1.50 inches)
D
9 mm (0.35 inches)
Weight
18.50 Grams (0.59 troy ounces)
Country
England
Stock Code
MSC177
Medium
Silver