Victorian Silver Snuff Box 'Tunbridge Wells Horse Racing Interest'

EDWARD SMITH, Birmingham 1838
Photo 1 of 11

An interesting early Victorian silver Snuff Box of rectangular form with all-over engine turned decoration and raised chased floral borders, the lid with shield shaped cartouche engraved with presentation inscription relating to Tunbridge Wells Horse Races.

By Edward Smith, Birmingham 1838

Sold - £350.00

In good condition with no damage or repair
18 mm (0.71 inches)
72 mm (2.83 inches)
50 mm (1.97 inches)
104.00 Grams (3.34 troy ounces)
Stock Code
The old Race Course, Tunbridge Wells Common
Appears on Bowra's map of 1738 and remained in use until 1851. Race meetings were held for two days each year, in August or September. The winning post, stand, and enclosure stood on the north side of the present Higher Cricket Ground. The Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria attended in 1834. In 1845 residents petitioned for the suppression of the races, on the grounds that they were a cause of drunkenness and riotous behaviour. After races ceased to be held, the course (apart from the section crossing the Cricket Ground) was preserved as a footpath and bridle-way and can still be followed today. Along the southern section, between Major York's Road and Hungershall Park, is a clearing where heathland restoration is in progress. Near the north west corner is the site (formerly marked by a plaque) of a thatched shelter destroyed by a flying bomb in 1944, with the death of an elderly resident. Hidden in the undergrowth north of the car park where the race course meets Fir Tree Road is the site of a small quarry. (Tunbridge Wells Common Conservators)